Can you believe it is time for entries to open for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018? We have received confirmation that our application for 30 charity entries has been approved!
For those of you we met at the Cycle Tour Expo, we’re sure you saw our buggy on display and heard the story of our buggy teams. This year we had four teams entered, and in 2018 we’d love to see our WOW team grow! Our super-human cyclists all attest to the joy of using their abilities to make what most would imagine to be impossible possible for some amazing children.
Take a look at some of the fun we had, even though we didn’t actually get to participate this year:
You can also read what our superhuman cyclists had to say: Meet the Buggy Teams
What you need to know if you want to participate as a buggy team:
1. Each buggy team consists of 3 people: the young person in the buggy, the cyclist towing the buggy, a support rider (for that extra push up a hill, & keeping an eye on the passenger being towed)
2. Each team is fitted with a tracking device so that the event organisers are always able to see where the team is should they need emergency assistance.
3. Buggy teams attend a special safety briefing at the cycle tour office in the week leading up to the race
What do we need to enter extra buggy teams in the 2018 event?
1. More buggies! The buggies cost R15,000 to manufacture. Branding opportunities on the buggies provide a source of funding for the manufacturing costs. The buggies are extremely visible on the road and get much attention from both spectators and other cyclists alike, with a lot of humour and support along the way! If your company, or anybody that you know of, may be interested in branding a buggy, we would love to hear from you. For the second year, we are partnering with Cape Town Tourism in our campaign and there will be substantial media coverage of the buggy participation in the event and our efforts to promote universal access in tourism and sporting events. Let’s get chatting about how we can make this happen together!
2. Cyclists and support riders – that’s where you come in! Have you reached your Cycle Tour goals and looking for your next challenge – one that allows you to make a difference in an aspiring young adventurer’s life? Rope in your support rider and become a buggy team warrior on wheels!
3. Sponsors – we need sponsors to cover the entry fees for the children, for kit, buggies and other event requirements. We are also using this event to fundraise for our foundation to carry out our other activities throughout the year. We have a number of fundraising platforms: GivenGain, DoIt4Charity, SnapScan, Zapper, MySchool, Monthly Pledge Partners etc. and we are more than happy to assist with your fundraising initiatives, whether promoting on our platforms, sharing your stories – we’d love to hear your ideas!
If you’d love to join team, we’d love to hear from you! We have a limited number of available entries for new buggy teams, so if you are considering getting involved, please get in touch by 15 September 2017.