We are thrilled to announce that Warrior On Wheels Foundation has our own charity group in the Cape Town Cycle Tour. In 2013, through our engaging with the organisers at the Cape Town Cycle Tour, permission was granted, and the rules changed to allow for children with disabilities to participate in the iconic event towed in buggies by super-human cyclists. We commend those involved at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust for the lengths they have gone to to ensure inclusion and safety for all in a 35,000 entrant event. We value the ongoing support and relationship. At the launch of Warrior On Wheels Foundation on 1 December 2015, Renée Jordaan, the former Operations Director of the Cycle Tour said:
“They’re not the Warriors on Wheelchairs in the Cape Town Cycle Tour, they’re the Warriors on Wheels, just like 35,000 other cyclists.”
This year we aim to give the #GiftOfAdventure to some new young warriors, enabling them to share in the spirit of the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Taking this into the future, we aim to see increasing numbers of warriors on wheels being empowered to participate.
History of the Buggy Teams
- History of the Buggy Teams
- Meet the 2019 Buggy Teams
- Meet the 2019 Super-Human Cyclists…. Coming Soon
- Meet the 2018 Buggy Teams
- Meet the 2018 Super-Human Cyclists
How can you get involved?
Sign up as part of a Buggy Team:
What you need to know if you want to participate as a buggy team:
1. Each buggy team consists of 3 people: the young person in the buggy, the cyclist towing the buggy, a support rider (for that extra push up a hill, & keeping an eye on the passenger being towed)
2. Each team is fitted with a tracking device so that the event organisers are always able to see where the team is should they need emergency assistance.
3. Buggy teams attend a special safety briefing at the cycle tour office in the week leading up to the race
R800 entry fee if you don’t have a general entry
Sponsor and Brand a Buggy
Branding opportunities on the buggies provide a source of funding for the manufacturing costs. The buggies are extremely visible on the road and get much attention from both spectators and other cyclists alike, with a lot of humour and support along the way! If your company, or anybody that you know of, may be interested in branding a buggy, we would love to hear from you. For the second year, we are partnering with Cape Town Tourism in our campaign and there will be substantial media coverage of the buggy participation in the event and our efforts to promote universal access in tourism and sporting events. Let’s get chatting about how we can make this happen together!
R20,000 to sponsor and brand a buggy
Sponsor a child
Make it possible for our differently-abled warriors to participate as part of a buggy team.
R1,800 includes entry fee, cycling jersey, timing chip, and helmet.
Help us Raise Funds
Sponsors – we need sponsors to cover the entry fees for the children, for kit, buggies and other event requirements. We are also using this event to fundraise for our foundation to carry out our other activities throughout the year. We have a number of fundraising platforms:
- Monthly Pledge Partners
- Bank Donation
- Zapper or Snapscan (download the app, link your credit card, scan the code below… donate!)
We are more than happy to assist with your fundraising initiatives, whether promoting on our platforms, sharing your stories – we’d love to hear your ideas!
firstname.lastname@example.org / Deirdré 078 567 6689